Thursday, July 3, 2008

even the little things are different.

The toilet paper, the food, the people, the personality of the people. Everything. Don't get me wrong, I knew it was going to be different, I just didn't plan for the little things. 

So, if you didn't know, I am in China with the University of Missouri. I will be here for 2 months volunteering with the Olympics and taking a class. I am going to start from the beginning  and work my way to now... let's go.

So I got on the plane. Woohoo more plane rides. While the seat was not comfortable, I never really got bored on the plane. It was 12.5 hours long, and it only felt like 8. I only slept for about 20 minutes. I am still feeling that too. 

Customs was pretty lax, which is kind of surprising. We met at the end of the customs line, then took a bus to Renmin University, where we are staying. We drove past the Birds Nest, Water Cube and etc on the way. It is so amazing that I am going to be working there.

Not much of my experience yet has been very organized, but it will probably get better once we start with the Olympic News Organization. The Chinese people are very happy we are here though. They are making a huge deal out of this. There are a lot of news organizations and stuff following us around. 

The food isn't bad either. I am eating a lot of things I wouldn't normally eat. I guess I don't really have a choice though. Ordering food is another story though. Especially if there aren't pictures. Then you basically order and see. There are some people that are diabetic or vegetarians that need to be careful. It will get easier though I am sure.

Tomorrow we are touring the major news outlets in Beijing. It should be tons of fun. I am taking a lot of pictures, and I will upload them to either facebook or flickr when I get the chance. Hope everything is going ok for you guys!

No comments: