Sunday, July 6, 2008

its elderly are very flexible.

I realized this today. I used my first "squat toilet" today, and it was very difficult. Not in the sense that is was so awkward to pee in a floor, but more in the sense that I could not stay squatted for that long with my capris around my ankles without propping myself up with a wall. The Chinese people have done this all their lives. They have the ability to stay at this awkward position, which is why the elderly are so flexible. See, I got to the point eventually.

The Golden Resources Shopping Mall. It is the biggest mall in the WORLD. I went to it today. While the things there are very high-end and expensive, the experience of another culture's shopping habits was awesome. The clothes were so cute too! Most were not unlike the clothing you can find in the States, and I wish I could have bought at least 5 of the adorable dresses I saw. 

The money is so hard to get used to here as well. The fact that something that is $50 in the States is 350 Yuan in China is a little confusing. The initial reaction is horror at the prospect of a $28 frappuccino, when it is -- in reality -- only $4.  The good part is that I have been here 5ish days and I have only spent the equivalent of about $60. However, I have not gone shopping in the bargain sectors of the city yet... :D

We also ventured into the Black Bamboo park in the northwestern corner of the city. It was beautiful. It also smelled amazing. The city has all kinds of smells, and this park is definitely the best I have smelled. The bamboo-- though not black-- was everywhere. Along with other Asian plants and trees. A completely different side to this huge city, and I absolutely love it.

No comments: