Saturday, August 9, 2008

they love their Fuwas!

The Fuwa. A group of five characters created to promote the Olympics in Beijing. Previously called “friendlies” or “good-luck bears,” these five animal-like creatures have taken China by storm. At the Olympic merchandise stores, the cute little bears appear on everything from backpacks to shot glasses to pen sets. Don’t get me wrong, there is some thought behind the Fuwa. Each has their own personality, background and designated sport group. Their names also have significance. In order, they are named Beibei, Jingjing, Huanhuan, Yingying and Nini. The names, when not doubled and said together, create Beijing huanyingni or “Beijing Welcomes You,” one of the themes of this Year’s Olympic games. I am not sure how long ago these creatures were developed, but they now star in their own television series. Coming to China, I did not think much of these creatures. In fact, I thought they were quite ridiculous. Over time, though, I have learned to love the little bear-like beings. I added the facebook application telling me which one I resembled, bought the stuffed version of the cutest one and even attempted to watch one of their television series. I have been sucked in to the Fuwa madness and there is no escaping their unbelievable cuteness. At work one day, I was wandering and I saw that the Fuwa were rehearsing for their half-time show during the upcoming hockey games. There were inflatable Fuwa costumes and plush Fuwa costumes all dancing around the hockey pitch. It was the cutest thing ever! Despite my previous assumption of these fuzzy creatures, I have realized that there was much thought behind them. They are symbolic to Chinese culture and they have caught on like wildfire!

2 comments:

penfic said...

Lyndsey

Which one of them is actually PO in disguise?

D

penfic said...

Lyndsey,

I just wanted to ask you

Which one of them is PO?

Love you

D